ECC Musical Theatre’s production of Into the Woods starts its second weekend of performances tonight so we thought it was a good time to brush on some of our Into the Woods trivia. Did you know that this is the third time this musical has been produced here at ECC? It was the last musical performed in the ATC auditorium (now called the Spartan Auditorium) prior to the opening of the Arts Center building in 1994. It was performed in the Arts Center in 1999 on the Blizzard Theatre Stage. 15 years later, ECC Musical Theatre has headed “into the woods” once more.
This musical has been around for 28 years, so let’s take a look at some of its non-ECC production history:
- Into the Woods debuted in the Old Globe Theatre in San Diego California, on December 4, 1986. James Lapine directed the original production (he also wrote the book) and the show ran for 50 performances.
- When Into the Woods moved to Broadway, the majority of the performers from the first production appeared in the Broadway cast.
- It premiered on Broadway on November 5, 1987.
- Bernadette Peters played the Witch in the original Broadway run of Into The Woods.
- The original Broadway production of Into the Woods won several Tony Awards, including Best Score, Best Book, and Best Actress in a Musical (Joanna Gleason in the role of Baker’s Wife), in a year dominated by Andrew Lloyd Webber’s The Phantom of the Opera.
- Into the Woods has been produced many times throughout the years including a 1988 US national tour, a 1990 West End production, a 1991 television production, a 1997 tenth anniversary concert, a 2002 Broadway revival, a 2010 London revival and as part of New York City’s outdoor Shakespeare in the Park series in 2012 (which featured Amy Adams in the role of Baker’s Wife).
- The 2002 Broadway revival of Into the Woods was also directed by James Lapine and it won the Tony Award for Best Revival of Musical.
- Walt Disney Pictures is producing a film adaptation of Into the Woods, directed by Rob Marshall and starring Meryl Streep, Johnny Depp, Emily Blunt, and Chris Pine. Original book writer and director James Lapine wrote the screenplay.
The movie adaptation is set to open in December, 2014, but you don’t have to wait 8 months to get your musical fairytale fix: experience ECC Musical Theatre’s production this weekend! Into The Woods runs through March 2. For tickets and information, visit tickets.elgin.edu.